Posted to alt.home.repair
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default Questions About Dowsing For Water

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 20:56:40 -0700 (PDT), harry k
wrote:

On Jun 18, 7:59 pm, windcrest wrote:
On Jun 18, 4:56 pm, Red wrote:

On Jun 18, 10:16 am, "Ulysses" wrote:

When the witcher was here I tried using the magic
wands (two bronze welding rods bent
at 90 degrees, one in each hand) and when you cross over a good

spot the
wands will spread apart, then cross over each other, then spread

apart again
(maybe it was vice versa--been a while) so it IS doing something.

No, no. That method is for finding water lines, pipes, and telephone
cables. The correct method for dowsing is to use a very limber willow
branch shaped like a long wishbone, with the point up and the 2
branches held in each hand with your palms rotated outward. As you
walk over the correct spot, the willow point will rotate from up to
down. Have done it many many times with the willow always indicating
the same spot and not random as one might expect. I admit I never dug
a well to prove it was correct, but it was uncanny how the willow
always reacted to the same spot.

Red

Hmm willow trees do like very wet soil and often grow on the edges of
lakes.

In my old house my main drain line out to the street was collapsed
(clay tile old house). It needed to be dug up and repaired. The
plumber came out with a dowser to find the line. He found it, dug
down by hand (6 feet deep 3 days of digging). Repaired the line.
This was in 1984, the plumber took the job because of a bad economy
but he did not own a backhoe, I was impressed but did start to feel
pretty sorry for him digging every day in my front lawn. He mentioned
he was an ex-convict getting back on his feet, had no problem digging
up a line by hand.- Hide quoted text -

I often wonder if any of the skeptics have actually tried using a
couple bent wires. They work for me but I don't base any decisions on
what they inidicate without other evidence supporting them. From
tests of a few neighbors, friedns and family it seems that they work
for at least half of anyone who tries it.

Harry K

I've tried them. And of course they will do "something". The problem
is, they don't really "work". This has been show over and over again
in controlled tests. About 15 years ago there was a special on TV
where a bunch of expert dowsers were asked to simply find hidden
glasses of water. None could at a level higher then chance. They
also buried water filled pipes in one test and again all the dowsers
failed to find the water filled pipes at a level higher then chance.

Anyone who wants to have fun can cut up a metal coat hanger into two
l-shaped dowsing rods. Then take them into your bathroom and see if
they don't swing and cross when you move them over the sink or toilet.
It's just your subconscious mind making them do it because you know
the sink and toilet have water in them. Some people fool themselves
into thinking it actually works for finding water underground. Anyone
who really thinks they can do it needs to contact the James Randi
Foundation and claim their million dollar prize. Somehow all these
special skills don't work when people have to have EVIDENCE for their
skill.

When my well witcher was here I tried the magic wands and got definate,
strong movements of the wands in some areas and not others. I believe that
I was not subsonsciously influenced by any outside factors. The terrain and
bushes etc. all looked pretty much the same to me and, having no experience
digging wells, would not recognize any of the above-ground signs anyway. I
found that the results were very consistant. I even went back to my well,
after the witcher was gone, to test my own wands because I didn't remember
if they were supposed to swing apart or cross and was able to establish that
by using my well as reference. Like I said elsewhere, my witcher said it
finds fissures, not water. Maybe he's a little more advanced than some
other witchers. I should mention that it got strong readings where I don't
think a geologist would think there is a fissure underground. That could,
of course, mean that either there is a fissure where one might expect it to
be or it was a false reading.

When the well driller first suggested that I hire a witcher I was quite
skeptical. But since I wanted a good well I was not about to argue with the
most respected and successful driller in the county. After talking to the
witcher and trying it myself I could see that there was something to it.
Nobody told me that it is 100% reliable.