Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Septic tank question

on 6/19/2009 10:45 AM (ET) John D99 wrote the following:
I've got a standard concrete septic tank setup. I recently dug down about
10 - 12 inchs to uncover the two inspection / maintenance holes, whcih are
about 20 inches in diameter.

Just 12" deep? I wish mine were 12" deep rather than 36". Fortunately, I
only have to uncover it every few years.
I have some triangular measurements taken from parts of the house to the
center of the cleanout hole location so I always know where to dig.

My question: is there any problem in not re-filling the holes so I can have
easy access next time I want to check the tank to see if it needs a
pump-out?

Can I expect a lot of odor in the hot months if I don't cover the thing with
dirt?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY