William Joones

Default Plasterboard thickness for ceilings

(James W) wrote in message . com...
I have plasterboarded my ceiling with the 4 or 5 mm stuff. It is
screwed onto battons I had attached to the existing ceiling. It is
fine in most places, however at its worst parts you can push it in and
it bends in. Will I need to redo the whole thing with the thicker
plasterboard? Or will the skim coat a plasterer will apply be OK? The
ceiling is fairly high and in a bedroom so I dont expect many people
to be pushing and prodding it.

Thanks in advance

James

I plasterboarded our bedroom ceiling at the weekend. I used 12mm as
the gaps between the battons I used was about 18inch on average and I
didnt want any sagging.

The chap at Travis Perkins said 9mm would be fine in 12inch centre
battons.

As for your problem - you could unscrew the plasterboard you have put
up (assuming you havent filled the joints yet) and put some more
battons up. Then reattach the plasterboard. That would reduce the
chnace of sagging and would be cheaper than new plasterboard.

Will