Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Surface grinder dust collection strategies

On Jun 20, 12:56*pm, Ned Simmons wrote:
I'm trying to improve the dust collection on my surface grinder and
hoping to get some feedback on the various schemes I've seen. The
setups I've seen fall into 3 general categories.

1. The traditional big funnel mounted to the table.http://www.kitmondo.com/images%5Clis...2294138886.jpg

2. Smaller scoops mounted to the column and positioned near the wheel
and close to the chuck. I've experimented with this and it works quite
well for fine grinding and the lighter particles from heavy grinding,
but the heavier grit slips by. I suspect the air velocity is not high
enough to deflect the heavy bits that are not headed toward the
suction inlet. I don't think there's much to be done about the
velocity, so the next thing I might try is to make the nozzle larger
and perhaps aimed more downward towards the chuck to cover a wider
spray of swarf.

This the current arrangement.http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...ews/Dust02.jpg

3. Vac-u-guard type hoods. These seem to be the choice for grinding
graphite and other grinding which creates primarily fine dust.http://www.gandgmachinery.com/images/grinders/vacug.jpg

The dust collector itself is a 3/4 HP Torit cabinet collector, which
is, according to Torit, appropriate for a single surface grinder. Any
feedback on your experience is appreciated.

--
Ned Simmons

Ned...another possibility.

A friend of mine has his grinder on wheels and rolls it out on the
driveway when he has substantial grinding to do.

No dust cleanup required.

Just don't shoot the dust out on to a white concrete driveway...it
leaves a rust stain. ;)

TMT