Default Shop electric question

In article ,
Woodchuck wrote:

Getting ready to add electric to my new garage. I will require mostly 120v
outlets with maybe one 240v for and air compressor. The distance from house
panel to garage panel is about 60 feet. House was built in `84 and at that
time contractor said 100a would be fine but insisted a 150a due to doing
some hobby welding at times, well water pump, central AC. The guys at HD
suggested 8/3 with ground. My question is what size circuit breaker should I
have at the house panel, and is 8/3 enough for the shop. My collection of
tools are all 120v, TS, Ridgid BS, Ridgid TP1300 are the big consumers but
will not be running more than one at a time. My Sears 4hp compressor is
advertised as 4hp, but like anything today I bet it's only 2hp since it
draws about 7amps at 240volts.

Thanks

It is almost _never_ a bad idea to 'over-size' the wire. Especially on a
distribution run. The cost of materials is comparatively insignificant
to the labor of running it. Bigger guage wiring results in less voltage
drop in the wiring, regardless of load.

One of the "standard sizes" sub-panel is rated for 60A, 'generally adequate'
for a garage shop.

Postulating the use of that size/rating of sub-panel, I'd run 6 ga wire,
and use a 60A breaker in the main panel.