Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.lasers
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Removing rubbery potting compound

"N_Cook" writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote in message
"N_Cook" writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote in message
This type is usually dark gray and soft - about the consistency of a
pencil
eraser, maybe a bit tougher. It can be removed laboriously with

knives,
picks, and elbow grease. But the question is whether there is some

easier
way to do this that would leave the underlying components undamaged.
This stuff is used in a variety of places including PCBs and laser
tube assemblies. Both of these are of interest to me. Modest heat
has no effect including immersing in boiling water - it's not hot-melt
glue.

Thanks!

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

I seem to remember using a 1/8 inch ball mill in a Dremmel for that

sort of
stuff, localised heat and tugging action hepled in removing from

surfaces,
. But still time consuming and you have to know there is no little vital
stuff buiried within it.

I've been using the mechanical approach. It is tedious and risky as
you note. But does work:

http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/vmi373p1.jpg

However, some components were damaged (a graphics editing program
can work wonders!) and for what I really want, it is trickier
as the part being removed is a glass laser tube and much of the
potting material is in a space 2 or 3 mm thick surrounding the
tube, and running its entire length.

Thanks!

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

What is the output level of the Cockcroft Walton circuit ?

Greater than 10 kV but the current is very low since it only needs to drive
an open circuit, then is bypassed once the main current flows. Nearly
every HeNe laser power supply has a circuit like that.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/