Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Low voltage MOMO water valve

On Jun 22, 9:54*am, Tim S wrote:
Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

This looks very interesting:

http://www.floodcheck.co.uk/store/in...d&productId=29

Haven't managed to contact them yet (no answer) but it did make me wonder:

I wonder where they got their water valve/actuator from...

Reading around the website, it's a 9v MOMO valve (ie needs power only when
changing state) - I suspect therefore it's a motorised ball valve rather
than a solenoid.

I could see a use for the valve alone. If the whole thing costs 42 quid,
the valve must be in the region of 30 quid.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Tim

To answer my own question:

Just had a call back from the designer (who I guess is also the owner). Very
interesting... They use a custom design latching solenoid valve, driveable
by pulse in the range of 6-24v. And he seems happy to sell the valves on
their own.

So I'd need a little interface timer that can apply the pulses based on a
general demand input (sounds like either a job for a 555 or an AVR/PIC
depending on your bent).

just wondering why a 555. All ac solenoids will run off dc, at IIRC
about half or 2/3 the voltage.

NT