Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheOldFellow TheOldFellow is offline

Default wooden gates: how to make?

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 17:26:46 +0100
Fred wrote:

Hi,

A neighbour has a rusty metal gate that he would like to replace. It
is fifteen feet wide but the few places he has asked only supply
replacements up to 12 feet wide.

How easy is it to make a wooden gate that size? What thickness of
timber would be required? I presume you use one or more thick
diagonals and either leave it open, or if privacy is required, nail
T&G on top?

TIA

It is probably possible to make a 15 foot wooden gate by traditional
methods (rail with diagonal). I would want to use oak for this, and
that would mean massive posts, at least 12x12. If it's softwood, take it
to the sawmill to have it treated after cutting. There is a local
sawmill here (N Cumbria) that makes treated-spruce gates to order, look
for one in your area.

On the other hand, if it's going to be boarded, then it may also be
possible to design a stressed-skin panel using 5mm Marine-ply over
a treated spruce frame using boat-building methods, this would be very
light. A thin (say, 6mm) T&G covering is also a possibility, but it
would need to be glued not just to the frame, but also in the T&G, and
I think that might split in the weather.

I don't know if there are planning/regs constraints.

R.