Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default wooden gates: how to make?

On Jun 22, 8:55 pm, Owain wrote:
Matty F wrote:
I have just made a gate 15 feet wide entirely out of 1.75" square
wood.
I wanted two swinging gates but there is no room for them to swing so
it slides with two wheels on a stainless steel rail instead.
It has three rails, four diagonals and 40 pickets and was quite easy
to make, although it took me a long time.

9.5/10. You're missing a ball on your right-hand post

The two balls are to indicate where the pedestrian gate is. Even with
that, some people can't work out how to get in. But no loss, they only
want to try to sell me something.
You may not have noticed that the left hand ball is smaller than the
right one. That's because I found the right one on an abandoned fence,
and made another on a lathe. Just about killed myself because it was
H5 treated timber, i.e. for marine use. Wear a mask when cutting that
stuff.