Richards

Default Cutting Cabinet Plywood with 7 ¼ Circular Saw

RWM wrote:
I usually make crosscuts of cabinet grade plywood, which are too large for
my tablesaw, with my 7 ¼" circular saw. To avoid chipping the finished
piece I make the first cut a little long. I also always cover the cut with
masking tape, but still get some chipping. I then cut to the exact size
using a straight cutting bit with my router. Using the router leaves a
perfect cut, but I have a project coming up that doesn't leave any room for
an oversize cut unless I go to a second sheet of plywood.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cross cutting cabinet grade plywood
with a circular saw that eliminates chipping? I have tried different
blades, and cutting heights, but so far the best that I can get is about
95%. That other 5% can be a killer.

Bob McBreen

The Festool circular saw works great. Before I got the Festool, I did
what you did, used masking tape and cut long. Also, before cutting, I
wet the cut line with water, which usually helped. If you can set up
your guides *very* accruately, you might try a scoring cut--cut part way
through the sheet--and then flip the sheet over to finish the cut.