Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Woodruff key questions

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 16:10:38 -0500, technomaNge wrote:

David Billington wrote:

Actually in that situation the taper handles the torque and the woodruff
does alignment. The woodruff key or some method of alignment is required
to position the flywheel and the magnets for the ignition, the friction
fit on the taper handles the torque unless severely overloaded. I've
never seen an aluminium woodruff key but wouldn't deny their existance
if required for an application. I've dismantled a few small engines in
the past and have never seen other than a steel woodruff key used.

Ace Hardware thinks the keys in a Briggs and Stratton is aluminum.

See

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...y-p-58407.html

technomaNge

A service manual from 1984 mentions a zinc key.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada