Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.lasers
Sam Goldwasser[_2_] Sam Goldwasser[_2_] is offline

Default Removing rubbery potting compound

"N_Cook" writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote in message
This type is usually dark gray and soft - about the consistency of a

pencil
eraser, maybe a bit tougher. It can be removed laboriously with knives,
picks, and elbow grease. But the question is whether there is some easier
way to do this that would leave the underlying components undamaged.
This stuff is used in a variety of places including PCBs and laser
tube assemblies. Both of these are of interest to me. Modest heat
has no effect including immersing in boiling water - it's not hot-melt

glue.

Thanks!

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

I seem to remember using a 1/8 inch ball mill in a Dremmel for that sort of
stuff, localised heat and tugging action hepled in removing from surfaces,
. But still time consuming and you have to know there is no little vital
stuff buiried within it.

I've been using the mechanical approach. It is tedious and risky as
you note. But does work:

http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/vmi373p1.jpg

However, some components were damaged (a graphics editing program
can work wonders!) and for what I really want, it is trickier
as the part being removed is a glass laser tube and much of the
potting material is in a space 2 or 3 mm thick surrounding the
tube, and running its entire length.

Thanks!

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/