Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Surface grinder dust collection strategies

On Jun 21, 1:17*am, (John Normile) wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 13:56:35 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

I'm trying to improve the dust collection on my surface grinder and
hoping to get some feedback on the various schemes I've seen. The
setups I've seen fall into 3 general categories.

1. The traditional big funnel mounted to the table.
http://www.kitmondo.com/images%5Clis...2294138886.jpg

Snip
Ned Simmons

I have a 6x12 Boyar Schultz with the dust collector base. * It came
without a "funnel" or hose. * I mocked up a collecting funnel out of
cardboard, mimicking my recollection of the factory unit. * My
thinking was that Boyar Schultz had more experience in this area than
I did.

The unit works pretty well while grinding. * The only noticeable grit
"bounce back" comes from dressing.

John Normile

After grinding at the end of the day....turn out the lights and shine
a bright light beam across the shop.

The amount of visibility of the beam tells you how good your dust
collection capability is.

Any fine dust is ending up on your lathe, mill and lungs.

TMT