Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Hard disks as a source of aluminium for casting?

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Mark Rand" wrote in message

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 14:21:27 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

Solution treatment is the term to Google for - see the third

paragraph

down this page:

http://www.azom.com/Details.asp?ArticleID=2540

AWEM

We seem to have varying views on the machinability of the alloys

involved. One

datum is that they obviously machine beautifully the first time

around, so I'm

hopeful that it'll be better than extruded rubbish.

I'd already boned up on Solution heat treatment and precipitation

hardening.

It's be nice it I could convince the lads in the metallurgy lab at

work to do

a full assay of the composition of a sample ingot. Trouble is, most

of their

work got sent to China, so they've lost the will to live...

It would be possible to slice an ingot into coupons and then try

solution heat

treating different coupons at different temperatures until the

correct

temperature was discovered. If the batch of metal were consistent

enough, that

would only need to be done once every 50-100lb of metal, which

wouldn't be too

bad. That's probably what I'll try. Of course that means building a

decent,

controllable, heat treating oven. Still, that'll come in useful for

and

aluminium casting work, whatever the source of metal.

It takes 10-15 minutes to strip down a drive whilst watching the

television

news. The concentration helps to stop me shouting at the news

presenters when

they get stupid ;-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Mark,

I have an alloy analyser - draws a carbon arc off the sample, scans
it, and reports on composition and prints it out. As the foundry
building isn't quite finished yet (but it does have walls, roof and
doors!) the analyser is still packed up from the move, but when it
comes out blinking to the daylight post me a sample and I'll run it
for you.

Andrew

An optical emission spectrometer by the sound of it, something I have
some knowledge of, having programmed software for them for the last 16
years or so. The one I work with uses a tungsten arc like TIG but the
principle is the same.