Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attic Fan

On Jun 21, 9:50*am, stan wrote:
On Jun 21, 11:23*am, "
wrote:

On Jun 20, 10:23*pm, Puddin' Man wrote:

About 25 years ago I installed a little t-stat controlled gable fan
in my little MO bungalow attic. Maybe 12 years later, it was causing
bad static on tv, radio in the room under the gable.

So I installed it in the detached garage in back (for same purpose,
cooling in extreme July, Aug. heat). It's still running.

Now the gable fan I replaced it with (Cool Attic 1500, in service
since '96) ceases to work. I lubed it as best I could. It's getting
elec. power from the tstat. Motor just refuses to turn over. Fan
blades are not locked, turn by hand, a bit tight, 'tho.

I figured it just burnt up 'till I remembered the older one still runs
after 25 years. Why should the newer one go south?

Any ideas? Should I just pull the Cool Attic, take it apart to confirm
motor is burnt up (or whatever)? Or just order a replacement?hi

* Thx,
* P

The American Corporate philosophy is to get the product out asap and
to start realizing a profit asap, first and foremost. *In the process,
quality and engineering is lost or at best is a secondary issue. *This
is the way things are made and its the Consumer that takes the hit.
That aside, *run alot of oil in the motors oiling holes AND run oil
down the shaft of the motor so it goes into the top bearing real good,
then keep spinning it by hand till it loosens up. *Apply power to the
motor and run it a couple hours. Stop it, re-oil, then youre good to
go for THAT season. *Remember, the motors are cheap and they see alot
of heat/dirt/moisture...so oil it each year.- Hide quoted text -

Our fairly low experience with these domestically installed electric
motors; typically in fans, bathroom exhausts, cooking hood exhausts,
microwave oven fans, old phonograph motors and attic cooling is that
they run a lot of hours.
They don't get lubed often enough because they are often inaccessible
and hard to get at.

All the attic fans and similar small electric motors I'vs seen for
many decades have motors that are not intended to be oiled.

Consequently it is often the bearings that wear
out or burn up; not the windings.
Our bathroom fan is basically 39 years old but has been rebuilt a
couple of times using pieces from other motors, in one case the
bearings from an old phono motor picked on on bulk garbage day! The
windings are original.
Agree some fan motors are garbage others much better.
BTW we fixed a 230 volt 4500 watt workshop type portable heater which
someone threw out because of a burnt out fan motor by installing a
powerful 115 volt computer fan in series with a 3 microfarad AC
capacitor across the 230 volt supply.
So one can think of old computers, as sometimes, a source of certain
types of fans.