Default Shop electric question

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 18:38:13 -0500, "Woodchuck"
wrote:

Getting ready to add electric to my new garage. I will require mostly 120v
outlets with maybe one 240v for and air compressor. The distance from house
panel to garage panel is about 60 feet. House was built in `84 and at that
time contractor said 100a would be fine but insisted a 150a due to doing
some hobby welding at times, well water pump, central AC. The guys at HD
suggested 8/3 with ground. My question is what size circuit breaker should I
have at the house panel, and is 8/3 enough for the shop. My collection of
tools are all 120v, TS, Ridgid BS, Ridgid TP1300 are the big consumers but
will not be running more than one at a time. My Sears 4hp compressor is
advertised as 4hp, but like anything today I bet it's only 2hp since it
draws about 7amps at 240volts.

Thanks

Been there and done that. The 8/3 should be OK.I put a 100Amp box in
the shop.

I have a 50 AMP breaker in my house. I designed the electrical
circuits in my shop as not to overload either leg of the circuit.

The 220V incoming is actually 2 independent 110V "legs" or a single
220V line. As long as you do not overload either leg the breaker will
not trip. I have 8 4ft fluroescent (sp?) fixtures - 4 on each circuit.
I have an air conditioner 110V on the leg with the scroll saw and
sander with 4 of the lights. The air compressor is on the other leg.

The TS and dust collector are wired to 220V so they are on both legs.

Sketch your shop and determine the demand for the 110V and the 220V.
Arrange the source of the 110V legs to balance the usage.

Balancing the loads allows me to operate up to 100 amps of current at
110V on the 50 Amp circuit.

I have the following.....

3hp TS @220 Actually Craftsman 1.5 hp
2hp DC @220

Remainder 110V
DEwalt planer
Jet joiner
14" BS
1 hp Drill Press
Osc Sander
SCMS
Scroll saw
Midi lathe
5 gallon Air Compressor
Bench grinder
10,000BTU Air Conditioner
8 4' light fixtures
Delta air filtration unit

Without being under load I can run all the above tools in the shop.
without tripping the breaker.

I have a single man shop so the loading is not a problem.

A little planning and you can really squeeze a lot out of your wiring
without the overloads.

Good luck