Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete Zahut Pete Zahut is offline

Default wooden gates: how to make?

R wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 17:36:23 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Fred
writes
Hi,

A neighbour has a rusty metal gate that he would like to replace.
It is fifteen feet wide but the few places he has asked only supply
replacements up to 12 feet wide.

12' gate and 3' gate with a pillar between them

How easy is it to make a wooden gate that size?

From the questions you are asking - probably quite difficult

Here - take this piece of string and tell me how long it is

What thickness of
timber would be required? I presume you use one or more thick
diagonals and either leave it open, or if privacy is required, nail
T&G on top?

TIA

Or simply a 12' gate with a 3' gate welded to the end of it or as I
have done (with smaller gates that I wanted to fold) hinged one off
the other, so no middle post is needed, just a lifting bolt into the
ground at the intermediate hinge. It's maybe pushing it a bit, but I
don't think adding 3' to a 12' gate will overload it too much
(unless the kids all line up along it to swing!)

Given the OPs post stated wooden gates I'd enjoy watching you weld a
bit on to one ;-)

Ah, but, the implication was that he would replace his rusty metal gate with
a new metal gate if he could, just that the places he's been to only do 12'
and not the 15' that he needs.