Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
oldjag oldjag is offline

Default Surface grinder dust collection strategies

On Jun 20, 9:34*pm, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 01:04:47 +0100, Mark Rand

wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 13:56:35 -0400, Ned Simmons wrote:

I'm trying to improve the dust collection on my surface grinder

As Andrew says and Karl almost says, look into putting some guards around the
table and running wet. The only time you need dust extraction is when dressing
a wheel really aggressively. The rest of the time, the coolant sweeps the
fines up and dumps them in your coolant clarifier. You also get less "sucking
up" of the work because it's kept nice and cool.

It may come to that, I just hate having to deal with the coolant mess
if I can avoid it.

If you have to stick with running dry, the main thing is to put the hood where
the grit is going to be thrown into it already, without any help from the
suction. The grit is coming off at 60mph. Anything you do with airflow is only
going to help once the grit is already in the pipe. So have a hood that has
steep enough angles that the grit won't bounce out and have it located so that
it's almost touching the work.

That's what I've tried to do so far, but I underestimated the spread
of the rooster tail of dust. I guess I'll make some quick and dirty
pickups of PVC and cardboard to see how much improvement I can make.

--
Ned Simmons

I have an old Boyer Shultz 612 surface grinder, I've always used it
dry, but I'm intrigued by the possibility of running it wet if it
won't kill the spindle bearings. Anyone know if this machine can run
with water based coolant or grinding oil? I have a Sioux valve
grinder and it uses grinding oil, very little if any dust escapes and
the parts being ground run cool.