Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Surface grinder dust collection strategies

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 14:35:30 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

2. Smaller scoops mounted to the column and positioned near the wheel
and close to the chuck. I've experimented with this and it works quite
well for fine grinding and the lighter particles from heavy grinding,
but the heavier grit slips by. I suspect the air velocity is not high
enough to deflect the heavy bits that are not headed toward the
suction inlet. I don't think there's much to be done about the
velocity, so the next thing I might try is to make the nozzle larger
and perhaps aimed more downward towards the chuck to cover a wider
spray of swarf.

This the current arrangement.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Dust01.jpg
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Dust02.jpg

You look to have a pretty good arrangement and good plan to improve. Just
wondering, is your vacuum partly clogged? Pretty easy to do. I cleaned up my
grinder vacuum and it went from worse than a shop vac to "suck the ball off
the trailer hitch" vac. i found hair, lint, and milling swarf in mine.

The collector has a near-new set of bags in it. I got it from a mold
shop that used it for graphite before moving to a new building where
they installed a central collection system. I removed the bags and
vacuumed them. There's little difference in the apparent flow with the
bags removed, so I'm pretty confident it's working properly. The flow
is much greater than a shop vac.

'Course you could go wet, and have another whole set of issues.

Yeah, despite the advantages of wet grinding, for the limited amount I
use the grinder I'd rather see how well I can collect the dust before
thinking about dealing with the sticky mist and coolant bugs.

--
Ned Simmons