Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell[_2_] SteveBell[_2_] is offline

Default Using Tub Spout with Diverter when there's no shower head

Todd | 2009-06-19 | 10:09:16 PM wrote:

I don't want a diverter. I happen to have an 8 inch tub spout that
has a diverter. Can't find the same tub spout without the diverter. So
I was wondering if there was a big problem with using it.

Worst case scenario: The water is on full force, and someone lifts the
diverter.

If the diverter seals well (usually only on a new spout), then the
water will just stop flowing. You will have to turn off the faucets
before you can lower the diverter. The diverter might be difficult to
lower because of static water pressure, but that will go away in a
minute. The diverter might possibly drop by itself.

If the diverter _doesn't_ seal well, usually from water deposits, then
you'll get a decreased flow from the spout. You'll probably still be
able to raise and lower the diverter with the water on.

I'm assuming the shower pipe is well capped.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement