Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.woodworking
Bored Borg Bored Borg is offline

Default angled finger joint? for beehive

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 20:17:37 +0100, Adam Chapman wrote
(in article
):

Hello,

I want to make this beehive
http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...ve-steve-moye/
, it's called a "WBC"hive if anyone wants to read about it.

Basically I have no idea how to make the finger joint at at angle like
that. Im sure i could work out the angles, but cant work out how
tomake it with a router.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

I'm Xposting this to rec.woodworking for you 'cos there's some clever blokes
on there who might be able to come at this from a different direction and
sort you out properly

Meanwhile

I just took a look at the drawings on
http://www.beesource.com/files/10frwbci.pdf

As it stands there's NO way to cut the joints with a router because the cuts
would be parallelogram shaped. The cuts would have to be cut parallel with
each other but at an angle relative to the board edge

You _can_ do it by hand (well, I couldn't)
or
you can have one of the pairs of sides square to the other a
and running "normally square" - as in like a standard box joint - on the
square-cornered sides.

Check out

http://www.stots.com/tm.htm

review
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/prd-stot.htm

This guy sells a jig for you to make your own dovetail/box jigs of any size
and custom built for any particular weird project you have on hand, so if
you're willing to lose the leaning-in on two of the walls, you could joint it
fairly easily - even dovetail it - with this gizmo which is around 40 usd

He has some nice examples of angled dovetails. Watch the on-site video for a
step by step account.

I've probably overlooked something obvious, so I'm throwing this one out to
the floor for sage counsel.

Enjoy!