Ernie Jurick

Default Belt sander clogging

I'm refinishing a large handmade Eastern red cedar chest that was built in
the 1920s. The exterior finish, which I *think* was shellac, has darkened
almost to black and become stained and eroded over the years. I used two
applications of a standard paint and varnish remover to get down to the wood
surface, then went over it with denatured alcohol until there was no trace
of color left.

I then attempted to clean up the surface with a #80 open-grit belt on my
sander. The first belt lasted 30 seconds before becoming so badly gummed up
that I had to stop. It was literally plated with what looked like brown wax.
The wood surface was barely touched. I cleaned the belt with a resin stick
and tried again. Same thing. Ditto the third try.

I then switched to a small finishing sander and #60 open grit, thinking that
the weight of the belt sander (ancient 4" Rockwell monster) was heating up
the wood and drawing residual shellac to the surface. The small sander ran
for about a minute before clogging like the belt had. I cleaned the wood
surface again with alcohol, then with acetone, and tried a new sheet of
paper. Same thing happened.

I'm frankly stumped. A very knowledgable acquaintance suggested running a
propane torch or heat gun lightly over the surface to heat up, draw off and
carbonize the remaining shellac, which could then be scraped off before I
tried sanding again. However, he admitted that he had no experience working
with cedar this way.

I thought I would ask this incredible group before going the torch route.
It's a family heirloom and I'm likely to be lynched if I screw it up. Any
suggestions appreciated.
-- Ernie