Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Septic tank question

John D99 wrote:
I've got a standard concrete septic tank setup. I recently dug down about
10 - 12 inchs to uncover the two inspection / maintenance holes, whcih are
about 20 inches in diameter.

My question: is there any problem in not re-filling the holes so I can have
easy access next time I want to check the tank to see if it needs a
pump-out?

Can I expect a lot of odor in the hot months if I don't cover the thing with
dirt?

Septic guy put a concrete ring and cap on mine after finding tank. That
way there is no problem with access. When we first moved into new house
septic came up and we needed a new drain field installed. A switcher
box was put in where I can switch drain fields when needed but it was
buried. I dug it up myself when needed and went to local concrete
company and bought ring and cap. Sometimes there is a slight odor but
it is in back yard and you have to be near to smell it. There is no
secondary cap over the box such as you would have with your tank so I
doubt there would be any odor. I have none from mine at the tank.