Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Which oscillating multi-function tool to buy?

BillGill wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
BillGill wrote:
I'm just going to discuss the blades briefly. You can buy them
anywhere, but based on my experience with HF's reciprocating saw
blades I wouldn't bother buying them there. When I got my
reciprocating saw I got a package of the cheap blades and they were
just about worthless. In fact I am happy with the saw, since I am
not a professional and only use it
occasionally. But I buy good blades, wherever I happen to be. The
blades are definitely the biggest expense for a saw. I expect for
the multi-tool it will be just about the same. You can shop around
for less expensive blades, but don't go too cheap.

"Blade" is a bit of a misnomer for these multi-function tools.
They're not really "blades" in the sense we're used to thinking
about. They're not sharp, they don't really "cut" (more like gnaw).
You can't really "dull" them, since they're "dull" to begin with.
You CAN wear the cutting blade down to where it has no teeth, but
then you have a brand-new "scraper" blade!

Conversely, you can take a "scraper" blade and notch it with a
Dremel rotary tool and have a brand-new "cutting" blade.

It's so confusing.

About the closest thing to which I can compare the cutting blades is
a stiff, thin, wire brush.

The shape of the blade may not make a difference, but the material
might. I figure that was the big problem with the blade pack I got at
HF.

Possibly, but the blades you got for your reciprocating saw are not the same
kind of blades as those for the multi-function tool. For example, the MF
blades don't get dull.

For the MF tool, you could probably make your own blades out of beer-can
metal and they'd work just as well.