Posted to alt.home.repair
John D99 John D99 is offline

Default Septic tank question

wrote in message
news
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:45:24 -0600, "John D99"
wrote:

I've got a standard concrete septic tank setup. I recently dug down about
10 - 12 inchs to uncover the two inspection / maintenance holes, whcih
are
about 20 inches in diameter.

My question: is there any problem in not re-filling the holes so I can
have
easy access next time I want to check the tank to see if it needs a
pump-out?

Can I expect a lot of odor in the hot months if I don't cover the thing
with
dirt?

My septic guy says one problem with that is rain water will flood the
tank putting pressure on the leach field. He also suggests using
regular spray foam insulation on the edges of the hole before you drop
the lid in. That will break loose easier than the bond you get with
dirt in the gap..

Yeah, Iwas thinking of callking around the lids - that foam is a better
idea.
Even if backfilled with dirt, the concrete lids are uneven and are bound to
allow water to seep in during rains when the soil gets saturated.

This thing has turned into a real pita. I have a fence panel lying over the
holes now, for appearance and safety, but it's not going to stop rain
infiltration.