Posted to alt.home.repair
JerryM JerryM is offline

Default Which oscillating multi-function tool to buy?

On Jun 18, 5:35*pm, blueman wrote:
I know that the Fein Multimaster is supposed to be the gold standard
but at $200+ for even the base model (and $400 for the Top with quick
change, case, and attachments), the tool seems quite overpriced. Plus,
they charge a fortune for blades at about $15 a pop.

At the other extreme, Harbor Freight (yes, I know all the "bad" about
Chinese made/plastic/knock-offs etc.) offers a Multi-Function power
tool that seems to be perpetually on sale for about $39. Perhaps even
more importantly, the blades are $6 for a set of 3!!!

In the middle perhaps is the Dremmel Multi-Max Oscillating kit for
$100 with blades going for about $10 a piece.

Has anybody had experience with these or other oscillating
multi-function tools? If so do you have any perspectives on the
cost/benefit ratios of these different models?

HF had a coupon online about a month ago, I used it to buy the HF
multi-tool and an extra package of hook and loop sandpaper sheets for
about $30 out the door. I would describe myself as a "very occasional"
user of the tool. Have used it for one or two things, no complaints so
far. I couldn't bring myself to spend the money for the Fein, as
little as I plan to use it.

The main reason I bought it was to do a little bit of patch work on a
damaged area of a wood floor. Seemed like the right tool for the job.
If I remember, I'll let you know how it worked out, when that job
bubbles to the top of my honey-do list.

Jerry