Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Leak/mold at base of finished basement wall

On Jun 18, 7:47*pm, Joy Ovington wrote:
Hi! Need advice! I have a 35 yr old 2122sf split-level on clay soil on
the market for 120k, even though it's refurbished. We've had the
basement "finished" for many years, my dad put OSB board on the walls
basically when we bought it almost new in '76, and now we have new
carpet in there, it's a 450sf media room - I have not repainted it.
Someone viewing the home spotted a water stain on the painted OSB wall
where the boards meet and along a little bit of the baseboard. We had
a record-breaking torrential rain/flood here almost 2 months ago,
never a problem before now. My realtor is freaking out saying I need
to pay 8k to have the entire basement resealed fm the inside or else.
I am not thinking that is the way I want to go, as if I had the cash.
On the disclosure form I wrote "basement seems to have a water stain
on wall due to torrential rains of Spring 2009" which is true. *In the
morning I'm sealing it and painting over it. *I've no clue what I'm
doing, but I think I am going to bleach the mold (green and brown, not
black) put polyurathane on it, Kilz it then paint the entire room. No
home inspection has been done but an acquaintance who's an inspector
and a builder did look at it and *told me it's a waterproofing thing
and that what I had on the disclosure form was fine and to go on and
fix it up without having it completely redone for 6k to 8k. A realtor
friend who owns a home construction business told me to do what I plan
and let someone else deal with it. What do you experts say I should
do? I can't afford this madness.

Do you have a dehumidifier down there, if not get one, basements are
damp and it should be lowered to around 60% humidity. Behind the
paneling is probably alot of mold, but you never thought of that and
know nothing [ or else you must disclose it and get in another mess].
Maybe some bleach is all you need. I would not worry if its a small
stain.