Posted to uk.d-i-y
R[_7_] R[_7_] is offline

Default re-painting French-style windows

"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 20:27:19 +0100, R wrote:
If you intend re-puttying the glass anyway and can stand them being
missing
for a few days strip out the panes then take them in for proper stripping
at
a door strippers. Mostly around £10 ish a door.

Yes, I forgot to mention that - we have outer storm windows for the bad
weather (and mozzie screens for the good), so last Summer I was just
taking the French-style windows down and temporarily putting the storm
windows up whilst I was working on them.

Cleaned back to bare wood leaving a great surface for a re-prime and
paint then putty or sealing in with mastic etc.

I tried some mastic tube-based stuff and it was horrible to work with
(yet I'm happy sealing round baths etc.) - on the window I tried it on, I
ended up dumping it and going back to the putty (which takes ages, but I
found it possible to get a much neater line with it)

Storm windows!...........Are you "exposed"