Trent

Default Cedar Fireplace Mantle

Thanks retireb. You're right, this is supposed to look rustic. The den is
of a "lodge" style with a Texas theme. The granite fabricator will be here
tomorrow to hang a 26" tall state of Texas (made from Black Galaxy granite)
on the front of the Austin Chalk fireplace. We do have the stone "knees"
plus there are two pieces of wood above the "knees" that are flush with the
rock. Not sure what that will do but I know it has to do with the mantle.
Thanks for your insight. You've nailed the look we're going for Here is
a picture of the fireplace (if you haven't seen it yet).
http://www.pbase.com/image/22803803
Monica

"retireb" wrote in message
om...
Monica,

I knew a guy in Maine who made log tables from Hemlock, cedar, etc.
They were not as large as your mantel, but quite thick -- 6 or more
inches. For them and for your mantle, the shrinking, cracking, etc.
that will occur is part of what nakes them look natural. People still
love the tables, though there have been checks and splits. The splits
are usually on the surface, and not structural.