Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Osborne Dave Osborne is offline

Default 850watt power generator question

DIY wrote:
After arranging a lunchtime barbeque in a couple of weeks time (to celebrate
a wedding anniversary) the power company has informed us that there will be
a power interruption from 8.30am to 4.30pm on the day (possibly longer if
they meet any snags) so my question is this: am I right in thinking that a
850watt 2 stroke generator would be powerful enough to power the condensing
combo boiler to give us hot water (maximum power consumption 140watt) and
maybe some small electrical appliances all well under 1kw?

Yes, should be no problem. I presume you would want to keep your
fridge/freezer going as well? Best to plan not to have to open the
fridge/freezer too often, just in case.

If you could plan your day to only need the central heating, you could
beg/borrow/steal a leisure battery and a 300W inverter and do without
the genset.