retireb

Default Cedar Fireplace Mantle

Monica,

I knew a guy in Maine who made log tables from Hemlock, cedar, etc.
They were not as large as your mantel, but quite thick -- 6 or more
inches. For them and for your mantle, the shrinking, cracking, etc.
that will occur is part of what nakes them look natural. People still
love the tables, though there have been checks and splits. The splits
are usually on the surface, and not structural.

Many of the reples you have received are or the "wood movement is bad"
school, which is correct in finished products. When I make a oak table
from lumber, I don't want checks and splits. But when I made s log
table from a black cherry tree that Huricane Bob took down years ago
on Long Island, NY, the checking, etc. is part of the charm of the
piece. Its SUPPOSED to look rustic, as I suspect your mantel is also.

I just went and checked the table I made for myself from the same log,
and the bottom has a long (4 foot) crack, but the top (I sawed the log
in half down the center) is fine. The crack is shallow. From the
pictures you show, this supplier has done this before. Ask him/her
what happens. Personally, I woould love such a mantel with contrasting
reds and whites. Checks and splits are natural and part of the 'log'
approach.

Incidentally, I've seen similar log mantels in lodges. Usually, they
are resting on significant 'knees' which are cemented into the wall,
usually stone. In the house I had on Long Island, the mantel was a
12x6 by 10 feet long piece of oak. It rested on two 'knees' of stone
built into the stone fireplace. The wood is going to be quite heavy,
as well as allowing for people to lean on it, pull on it, etc.

Go with the log.

Good luck.

Retireb

"Trent" wrote in message ...
Hi, I have a couple questions concerning a cedar mantle. I've priced them
at various outdoor market places and they're around $1000 and higher. My
husband is very handy in all areas of home construction. He's found a man
(owns a sawmill) that will cut a seven foot cedar trunk, flat on top and the
back side and left natural on the front and bottom. I'm assuming he'll
strip the bark. Cost is $50. My husband intends to take over from there.
Seeing how expensive the mantles sold for, I asked "just what is involved in
making a mantle like this?" Besides the stripping, sanding and varnishing,
he mentioned that the wood had to cure (or season) before the shellac or
varnish. My question is, how LONG does wood have to cure? If there are any
other tips you could share, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Monica