Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Photocopier - paper scratches on the OPC

I tried the original OCD with the deep scratch lines axial to the drum and
there is not the slightest hint of any of the thousands of paper scratch
lines on the original, coming through to the paper, just the deep
imperfections coming through. That is old OCD with the current toner
produces a good black image with no tramlines.
I'm wondering if too high a volts/mm in the active layer, from the corona
wire being too high a voltage can cause damage. Somehow in conjunction with
very fine scratches , give a concentrated charge distribution and very
locally damage the germanium or cadmium sulphide or whatever the active
layer is. With the problem OCD outside the machine I gave it a very close
inspection and I can still not see any correlation between the paper scratch
lines that cause tramline output and any of the thousands oif other possible
ones.

It is a continuum thing. If more toner is allowed through then more and more
tramlines appear. I could understand it if some bits of hair conducted
straight from corona to OCD to cause a few permanently affected rings but
not this situation.