Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default (OT?) TV Service Headache

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:07:39 -0500, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:

[snip]

Has anybody got a good feel for getting affordable discounts from tv service
vendors? Charter monopolizes cable in my part of MO. Are the dish vendors
really any better? Installation costs, etc?

I got rid of DirecTV last June for multiple reasons, but mostly the
poor customer service. For example, I emailed them once about a
problem with the online guide. It took 4 emails before the problem was
fixed (and they didn't seem to have actually read any of them). I sent
one more email to tell them it was fixed. They replied by messing
something else up.

I've got a pretty decent non-directional TV antenna (from Radio Shack)
installed in the attic (from the Over-The-Air days). If I decide to
chuck the lot of 'em and go OTA with a cheese-box (DTV converter or
whatever they call them), is it likely the old antenna will be sufficient?
I've got a $40 gov't coupon for the cheese-box.

In most cases you will NOT need a new antenna. There is no such thing
as a "digital antenna", just sellers than want more money.

Note that most (but not all) DTV stations are on UHF (ch 14-51).

Any/all info/suggestions are most welcome.

TIA,
Will

BTW, I can see some converters for sale at Wal-Mart for $50 (I guess
that'd be $10 with coupon) right next to $30 DVD players. That doesn't
look right.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov