Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Photocopier - paper scratches on the OPC

Bob Larter wrote in message
N_Cook wrote:
The ps voltage was a bit high but not enough to push the corona voltage

from
5.55KV to over 8KV. The preset only varied it a few hundred volts. Put a
dropper in line and its now 5.8KV and working , subjectively, just as
before - lines on the paper image. But these lines are no longer

"burned"
onto the OCD. Previously if you removed the corona housing and wire,

then
the lines still emerged onto the paper for a number of runs because of a
build up on the OCD, that failed to clean off with AC and wiper blade.
Now if you remove the corona the next output is plain white so the

cleaning
process can now cope with it.
I tried changing the corona housing to a spare one but the lines are in
exactly the same place. It is difficult convincing myself that the toner
lies in fine lines on the OCD as there is no obvious repeat, coincident

with
the lines on the paper. There are hundreds of such fine lines with

nothing
making the most persistently tranferrd ones stand out.
If the following makes no difference I will try the earlier OCD that

worked
fine but the original owner managed to scratch numerous deep lines axial

the drum so produced heavy black lines obscuring the image. If the lines
stay in the same position then it will be a total mystery as I've

cleaned
,twice now, all surfaces near the OCD path. I should have said these
present lines are so fine they are just intrusive rather than blocking
information.

Going back to my original thinking, as this all started about coincident
with forced change of toner supplier. I made up a test batch of some of

the
toner mixed about 2 :3 of charcoal sieved down to 75 microns, the

thinking
is it would dilurte an excess of oil/styrene. It takes a while for this

work through the feed system but so far the ratio of blackness of wanted
image to tram lines has improved, I think. I can get hold of styrene and
have plenty of silicone oil but how do you mix 98 percent sieved

charcoal
with 2 percent or so of liquids without clumping? At this rate I may as

well
try formulating my own toner . My set of old brass lab sieves go down to

75
micron, any ideas for a source of mesh of order 30 or 40 micron?

Jesus. You're sure trying to do this the hard way!

Have you cleaned the laser module window, & tried swapping out the
cartridge?

This is conventional copier with document glass and toner hopper feed. The
same problem must apply to cartridge/laser systems for when the original
specified cartridges are no longer available and supposed replacement
equivalents are not equivalent. Its just that the process (whatever it is)
is otherwise going on , unseen , inside the cartridge.