Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default What are these?

On 2009-06-17, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jun 16, 11:15*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

I think some of the dispute comes from listening to the old guy who is
supposed to know everything. I am becoming that old guy and have made
an effort to read the appropriate manuals instead of repeating
whatever I heard way back when. For example:

http://www.connex-electronics.com/?u...imp_guide.html

IIRC the specs for one of their terminals give current ratings from
50A for a hand crimp to 350 for the high-end hydraulic press dies.

Interesting. From what I see -- the choice of crimper is a
function of the size of the terminals, and the wires proper for those
terminals.

For example, with the AMP crimp terminals, all sizes from 28 Ga
to 10 Ga are handled with either ratcheting hand-held tools -- or
automated crimpers fed terminals on tape from spools.

All sizes from 8 Ga through 4/0 use hydraulic tools. The 8 Ga
through 2 Ga may be done with hand held and pumped hydraulic tools with
the dies integral with the tool -- or with a hydraulic slave cylinder