Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default OT - Oak Tool Chests From Grizzly?

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:24:13 -0400, the infamous Joe
scrawled the following:

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 06:42:31 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:11:34 -0400, the infamous Joe
scrawled the following:

After working for a while in the tool stockroom at my plant, my wife
decided that a wood tool chest would be a cool way to store her
jewelry (better than the frilly stuff that is usually sold for women).
Accordingly, I thought I'd get her one for her birthday coming up in a
couple of weeks. I can't afford a Gerstner (even their International
series), so I wanted to know if any of you guys has bought one of the
Grizzly oak chests. Specifically, I'm thinking about this one:
http://grizzly.com/products/26-Oak-1...er-Chest/H7716

Opinions (c'mon, I know y'all got plenty of that!) or alternate
suggestions?

I've seen the HF versions of those and they aren't too bad looking,
but I wouldn't want to store a whole lot of weight in the drawers. I
also recommend waxing the drawers and glides prior to putting it into
service. Cheap stuff tends to chatter _horribly_, but I saw one of
those chatterboxes in an Etherized Allen Gallery, too. Shameful!

That box should work just fine for lightweight jewelry, Joe.

P.S: Does she have THAT much jewelry? Make a full-size mockup for her
to determine if she wants that much box on her dressing table.

I didn't like the HF box - like RB said, crappy pressboard
construction. I'm hoping the Grizzly is something like plywood; they
say "face veneer over stable center core construction, interlocking
joints", etc. Dunno.

I read "veneered pressboard" from that. You?

She does have lots of stuff - I buy her unusual handcrafted earrings
all the time, and after 37 years, that translates to lots of stuff.
Most of it is sterling, as we both prefer it to gold (even if the cost
were not a factor). It won't sit on her dressing table, though. There
is a beautiful silk-lined rosewood chest there that I gave her about
35 years ago. She wants to place the "jool-box" (her term) on a small

Cute!

side table next to the vanity. She ain't a typical Barbie type,
although she does a good imitation, being a petite blonde who favors
pink - she even told our Fastenal rep (numerous times) that they
needed to market a line of tools with pink handles!

If Fastenal won't sell 'em, B&D will:

http://paulsshar.xanga.com/photos/68eff215788297/

OK, here's a "real" toolset:

http://ladiestoolsonline.com/tools.asp?tt=14&tid=26

--
Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized
anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.