Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Selecting pool paint to last for 5 years

In article ,
"scorpionleather" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
Why not follow Richard Kinch's guide:

"How I Re-Plastered and Re-Modeled My Own Swimming Pool For only $502"

(Of course, his pool was only 27,000 gallons.)

Here's the link:

http://www.truetex.com/pool.htm

Excellent guide, thanks. I wonder how many days I would spend inside the
pool if I tried this. Reading the article, it sounds do-able. Then I think
about why it would cost $7,000 to hire a team to do it. Normally if a job
costs $7,000 it is beyond what I can do on my own. I paid to have two giant
trees removed for only $1,000 and I could never imagine climbing up like
they did, and lifting those big pieces of tree trunk on my own. But I do
most of my own electrical and plumbing, and I've done floors before but
whenever I do hard floors I am thinking "what did I get myself into, it's
harder than I thought." So re-plastering on my own is very tempting, I am
just afraid I might get myself into something beyond the labor I can put
into it (trying to get it right for weeks?) hmmm...

Magnitude and skill level are two different things. There are plenty of
$7000 jobs that I couldn't possibly do, and plenty of others that I'm
just too lazy to do.

Assuming the pool refurbishing professionals charge $100/hr, it's only
going to take them 70 hours. Less, actually, because some of the charge
is for materials. Since you're inexperienced, multiply by somewhere
between 1.5 and 10. Yep, you've got a dilemma.