Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Selecting pool paint to last for 5 years

On Jun 17, 1:54*pm, "scorpionleather" wrote:
I'm having a tricky time to decide on a white pool paint that will last for
about 5 years until we can save up some money to re-plaster or pebble-tec
and new waterline tile etc. *The pool is 40,000 gallon gunite and it has not
been replastered for over 30 years. *The existing plaster is chipped in some
spots, and other parts are still strong and intact. *After pressure washing
it seems like a pretty solid base for a coat, because the material that was
loose has already worn off over the years. *It had a coat of paint in the
1980s, possibly chlorinated rubber or acrylic, and that is mostly worn off.
I am hoping that acid wash (followed by additional pressure washing) can
remove any remaining paint specs so it doesn't create an adhesion problem..

I cannot decide whether I should do a very-temporary coat of something like
synthetic acrylic or chlorinated rubber, just to get by until re-plastering
down the road. *That might not last for 5 years. *So I'm leaning toward the
Kelley Technical Coating Epoxy system. *I'd use Gunzite primer and then
Zeron epoxy, which should last 8 years.

Would the epoxy be so strong that it would make it harder to do a
replastering job later on, vs. if I used cheaper acrylic or rubber paint?
Would I possibly like the epoxy so much that I could decide to keep that
instead of plaster? *I heard that the algae adheres less to epoxy than it
does to plaster. *I am confused, would appreciate tips from anyone who has
seen or tried different coatings, especially epoxy.

If you paint now, I dont think a concrete base coating can go over
paint in the future