Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne[_4_] Tom Horne[_4_] is offline

Default Does NEC require a Main Breaker Panel inside the home?

On Jun 17, 3:21*am, "iwdplz" wrote:
"Larry The Snake Guy" wrote in message

Depending on how one reads this it is at least a little unclear
whether the 10 foot limit applies outside, or only to inside
installations... The requirement would certainly make sense for
inside. But then 150 feet is a ways to run while the ceiling fan that
just came loose is showering sparks on the carpet, so I can see where
it could be an issue.

Where is your meter? It it at the pole or by the house?

I was wondering what the "safety" issue is regarding the distance. *Sounds
like if there is a faulty major appliance, the main breaker provides a quick
convenient shutoff. *Couldn't he also just shut off -all- the individual
circuit breakers in the basement instead? *Maybe this would take 10 seconds
longer than flipping one breaker. *I am not sure where the meter is. *Based
on the info my brother has told me so far I am painting a picture in my mind
(mostly a guess) that electrical service was at the pole with a meter before
the house was built, possibly as part of the vacant land deal, and that's
the reason why the meter/disconnect is not attached right on the house.
Vermont gets heavy snowfall so it could be hard to go outside in the winter
sometimes. *But couldn't one simply just shut off all individual breakers if
the faulty circuit is not known?

As I have pointed out in a previous post the buildings disconnecting
means must consist of six or fewer switches, breaker handles, or fuse
pull outs.
--
Tom Horne