Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

Default Plywood from China and other crap from China

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
LD wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
LD wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Alan Petrillo wrote:
Ken wrote:
It means a lot of lost jobs, because of all the Jap cars
when will we wake up, buy AMERICAN. We've already lost the
electronics, next will be the Automotive, WAKE UP
AMERICA!!!!!!!!

Look again. Most of the "Japanese" cars sold in America are built
in America, and largely with American parts. I wrote a report on
this about ten years ago, but I can't find what I did with it.

I had an altercation with a guy about driving an "American" truck.
He was in a Ford Ranger, and I was in a Nissan Hard Body. He
didn't believe me when I pointed out that his truck was made in
Mexico and mine was made in Bowling Green, Kentucky. I told him
to go look up his VIN and see for himself.

The latest players in the US car market are the Koreans, with
Hyundai and Kia. Not too long ago Hyundai announced that they
were going to open a US plant and start building cars here.

In fact, about the only car manufacturers that are taking their
plants out of the US are The Big Three, who are largely moving to
Canada and Mexico. Even so, the way the rules are written,
because they're US based corporations this is still considered
"domestic" production.

So before you look at the manufacturer's badge and make an
assumption you should find out where the vehicle was actually
built.

And as far as consumer electronics (which is the industry that has
been "lost"--the US still makes radars and whatnot just fine) the
US consumer electronics industry shot itself in the foot by not
jumping on the solid state bandwagon when transistors first came
out.

It did. Millions of Transistor Radios.

Which American manufacturer produced millions of transistor radios?
The first company to sell more than half a million transistor radios
was Sony and when I was a kid in the '60s I _never_ saw an American
branded transistor radio on the shelf or in anyone's hand.

I Owned some. Zenith and Motorola. Oh, and Bulova. DAGS

I did. It told me that no American manufacturer sold "millions" of
transistor radios.

No, it didn't.