Posted to alt.home.repair
scorpionleather scorpionleather is offline

Default Selecting pool paint to last for 5 years

I'm having a tricky time to decide on a white pool paint that will last for
about 5 years until we can save up some money to re-plaster or pebble-tec
and new waterline tile etc. The pool is 40,000 gallon gunite and it has not
been replastered for over 30 years. The existing plaster is chipped in some
spots, and other parts are still strong and intact. After pressure washing
it seems like a pretty solid base for a coat, because the material that was
loose has already worn off over the years. It had a coat of paint in the
1980s, possibly chlorinated rubber or acrylic, and that is mostly worn off.
I am hoping that acid wash (followed by additional pressure washing) can
remove any remaining paint specs so it doesn't create an adhesion problem.

I cannot decide whether I should do a very-temporary coat of something like
synthetic acrylic or chlorinated rubber, just to get by until re-plastering
down the road. That might not last for 5 years. So I'm leaning toward the
Kelley Technical Coating Epoxy system. I'd use Gunzite primer and then
Zeron epoxy, which should last 8 years.

Would the epoxy be so strong that it would make it harder to do a
replastering job later on, vs. if I used cheaper acrylic or rubber paint?
Would I possibly like the epoxy so much that I could decide to keep that
instead of plaster? I heard that the algae adheres less to epoxy than it
does to plaster. I am confused, would appreciate tips from anyone who has
seen or tried different coatings, especially epoxy.