Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
Douglas Johnson[_2_] Douglas Johnson[_2_] is offline

Default Reason For Dead Phones?

Jim Redelfs wrote:

OBTrivia: Multi-party service was originally required due to inadequate
infrastructure (not enough pairs). The customers were "bridged" in the
field.

As enough pairs became available, many subscribers re-graded to private
service (1FR, 1FB, etc). Those that kept their two-party service were
bridged in the Central Office. This allowed for easier trouble shooting.

Through the 70's and 80's, I always ordered 2 party service. It was much
cheaper and there was never another party. At that time, in that place, I think
most people didn't know you could get multi-party service. -- Doug