Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Charlie[_7_] Charlie[_7_] is offline

Default You can come get the money I owe you...

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Scott in SoCal wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Charlie wrote
Bill wrote

These self-centered "me" generation people are really something!

I did some free remodeling work for a young friend about 10 months
ago. Prior to doing this work, my friend assured me he would
reimburse me for all the materials I needed buy to do the work...

When I was done with the work, I gave him a copy of all the receipts
for things I had purchased as well as an itemized list and total
amount he owed me. Again my labor was free.

So the months rolled by and not a single dime came my way. But in
the mean time, my friend purchased all sorts of expensive "toys" for
himself (he makes very good money). Like fancy wheels/tires for his
car (the old tires were fine), a new very expensive entertainment
system for his house, and on and on.

I kept reminding him of the money owed to me...

Well after 10 months of this, he finally mentioned something about
paying me. He said he would total up the receipts I gave him. I
again gave him a copy if the itemized list I have given him 10
months prior. After a couple of weeks, he called me and said "You
can come and get the money I owe you!"

I think I will try this with my electric bill. I'll call the electric
company and tell them I have the money for their bill and they can
come and pick it up!

Geeze these people are really something!

The way I have solved that kind of problem is by giving
the guy a shopping list. "Any questions? Call me when
all the stuff is at your house and I'll be over"

Trouble is that plenty arent capable of using the list properly.

And its often a lot more trouble to make up a list that someone who
doesnt
know anything about renovations can use than to get the stuff yourself.

Still sounds like a lot less trouble than Bill had getting reimbursed.

Sure, but it makes a lot more sense to get the cash upfront instead.

If you do that you are ignoring travel costs and time.