Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default foundation repair advice?

On Jun 17, 2:49*am, fftt wrote:

WAY zoomed out photos are needed, to provide context. * Imagine the
guys in this newsgroup have never seen your house....closeups are good
but not with context. *The photos you take & post have to substitute
for being "on-site".

While most of your photos give good close-up information.....there
appears to not be "zoomed out" and various stages of "zoomed in" of
the same foundation location

Compose and post the photos necessary to understand this "elephant"
that we've never seen in person.......we need your photos to tell the
whole story.

Get rake / broom & remove the extraneous / unimportant debris from the
ground in the photos.

I don't know that any amount and quality of pictures will help with
this diagnosis. Eyeballs on the situation - paid knowledgeable
eyeballs - is the only way to figure out for sure what is going on.

That being said, let's talk theoretical situations for a bit. The
soil has subsided substantially. A fair bit of soil had to go
somewhere, so there are probably two major scenarios that would cause
such a situation.

The first would be improper subgrade preparations. Either there was
organic matter that rotted and compressed, or the soil was disturbed
during excavation and not properly compacted before the slab was
poured. If the gap is no longer increasing in size, mud jacking would
probably take care of the problem.

The other scenario would be flowing water washing away the soil. That
could come from improper drainage around the house, an underground
stream, or a leak in a water/sewer pipe under the slab. If there is a
bathroom near the gap that would increase the odds that it were a pipe
leaking. To fix this sort of problem you have to determine where the
water is coming from and where the soil is going. Mud jacking may of
may not take care of the problem.

It is not a good situation and the OP's comment that the foundation
has been in need of repair for quite some time scares me. Hire a pro
and fix it.