Posted to alt.home.repair
iwdplz iwdplz is offline

Default Does NEC require a Main Breaker Panel inside the home?

"Larry The Snake Guy" wrote in message
Depending on how one reads this it is at least a little unclear
whether the 10 foot limit applies outside, or only to inside
installations... The requirement would certainly make sense for
inside. But then 150 feet is a ways to run while the ceiling fan that
just came loose is showering sparks on the carpet, so I can see where
it could be an issue.

Where is your meter? It it at the pole or by the house?

I was wondering what the "safety" issue is regarding the distance. Sounds
like if there is a faulty major appliance, the main breaker provides a quick
convenient shutoff. Couldn't he also just shut off -all- the individual
circuit breakers in the basement instead? Maybe this would take 10 seconds
longer than flipping one breaker. I am not sure where the meter is. Based
on the info my brother has told me so far I am painting a picture in my mind
(mostly a guess) that electrical service was at the pole with a meter before
the house was built, possibly as part of the vacant land deal, and that's
the reason why the meter/disconnect is not attached right on the house.
Vermont gets heavy snowfall so it could be hard to go outside in the winter
sometimes. But couldn't one simply just shut off all individual breakers if
the faulty circuit is not known?