Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default What are these?

On 2009-06-17, Michael Koblic wrote:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *You would have thought that
such issues would not arise in something like engineering which is a
discipline on the whole based on facts (unlike medicine or politics).

* * * * Machining is an art as much as an engineering matter.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Yet it
happens. I still remember the discussion on crimping vs. soldering and the
passions involved in that one!

* * * * :-) (Of course, it helps that I have a large number of crimping
tools and the terminals to use with them. *I learned about crimping
working for an aerospace manufacturer, and while I also learned how to
do *good* solder joints where required, I prefer crimping if I have a
choice.

* * * * Enjoy,

I think some of the dispute comes from listening to the old guy who is
supposed to know everything. I am becoming that old guy and have made
an effort to read the appropriate manuals instead of repeating
whatever I heard way back when. For example:

http://www.connex-electronics.com/?u...imp_guide.html

IIRC the specs for one of their terminals give current ratings from
50A for a hand crimp to 350 for the high-end hydraulic press dies.

jsw