Posted to alt.home.repair
Brandon McCombs Brandon McCombs is offline

Default how to level a long chalkline?

Frank wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 16, 7:10 am, Frank wrote:
On Jun 16, 4:16 am, ben wrote:

I'm cutting off the bottom 20" of my t1-11 panel siding to replace it
and want to cut it off straight. The bottom edges of the siding are
rotten, so I can't just measure up from those 20" as a guide. So I
bought a chalkline but I now realize, I don't know how I can make sure
it's level. The length will be about 27'.
How can I level this? Or is there a better way to do this?
thx!
Don't know if this helps but kids bought me a laser Straightline.
Laser light puts out a straight line and the small unit has leveling
bubbles. Don't think they are expensive.

Unless they've improved the Straightline product line recently, they
are not much help.

The bubble is so much smaller than the space between the 2 lines that
you have to eyeball it to choose your own center. Over 27' any
eyeballing of a crappy bubble level just isn't going to be accurate.

You're probably right. I've never used it. The plastic tubing or hose
method would be the best to use.

Recommending a product that you've never used? Genius.