Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Skype Bill Skype is offline

Default foundation repair advice?

Just to add, this is a single floor home with no basement or crawl space.
Bill

"Bill Skype" wrote in message
A part of my foundation has been in need of repair for quite some time. I
now have the opportunity to do this, but after looking at it today, I'm not
sure I can handle the task. I really want to try it, but not sure how to
proceed.

The damage I'm seeing isn't like the web info I keep coming across, so
that's the reason for my uncertainty as to a repair course. I've decided
to take some pictures and will explain each below.

The first damage I describe as a "foundation gap" of around 2-3" deep by
nearly 36" long.
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/3...ndationgap.jpg
To make matters worse, parts of the gap are quite deep and I can fit at
least half of the yard stick in spots:
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/138...ongapdepth.jpg
I can easily chisel and break parts of I guess what would be the
cinderblock within the deep depth. Very easy to break and crumble. There
is also some foam filler someone attempted to inject, but I have removed
most of that. Lots of dirt and debris around this area. The big question
is how do I repair this gap? Can I just fill in with cement and what type
and how would I go about cleaning the entire area?

Lastly, there is a crack just beyond the gap:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/171...ationcrack.jpg
I assume this could be filled in with hydraulic cement patching that I
keep reading about.

There you have it. I can't find anything on repairing this type of
foundation separation/ decay damage and all I keep running across are
cracks or small to moderate sized holes, so any advice would be greatly
appreciated. Just to note, the separation only occurs at one end of my
house and is about 36" long as I said. The rest of the foundation in
other areas seems intact and not separated, plus there are no cracks. Any
idea of the cause of this would be appreciated also so, if I can repair
it, it doesn't happen again.

Thanks in advance,
Bill Skype