Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Raccoons under the deck

HeyBub wrote:
Frank wrote:
Did not know the law at the time. I had actually released a trapped
squirrel in the park in the presence of a county cop in the county
substation near the park and he said nothing. Later I read in the
paper that you can trap and kill an animal but not release it
elsewhere. Kinda stupid isn't it?

Fine print: Squirrels are game animals and, if taken out of season (usually
around February), you could be in big trouble.

This works to your advantage if squirrels get in your attic and gnaw up your
wiring. Most insurance won't cover damage due to vermin, but since you can't
kill squirrels...

ISTR almost all 'in season' laws include a loophole for pest animals,
especially if they are putting humans in danger. I highly doubt the cops
would care, unless you were obviously setting up a trap to harvest meat.
Farmers usually get no grief for killing animals that keep breaking
their fences, devastating their crops, or killing their livestock.
(unless it is a federal protected species, of course...)

--
aem sends...