Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to level a long chalkline?

On 6/16/2009 8:19 AM Doug Miller spake thus:

In article
,
harry k wrote:

Water levels are a great tool and is the only way I know of to
level around a corner but need some care.

1. The entire line must be in the same condition, i.e., all in sun
or all in shade.

Utter nonsense.

Amen. This ain't the Hubble Telescope.

2. There can be no air bubbles in the line.

If you fill it the way I described, there won't be.

Personally, I would use a laser for the OP's use. They are not
expensive and will be used many times if the OP does much carpentry
over the years.

Phooey. Even the "cheap" ones are an order of magnitude more
expensive than 35 feet of vinyl tubing, and they're MUCH less
accurate. With a steady hand and a sharp eye -- and a sharp pencil --
it's easy to get +/- 1/32" with a water level. Ever look at the
specs on the consumer-grade laser levels they sell at home centers?
Typical is +/- 1/4" at 25 or 30 feet; I saw one at Sears a few years
ago labelled as "accurate within 1/2%". That doesn't sound too bad
until you do the math: that's an error of an INCH AND A HALF at 25
feet.

Yep. I second that emotion.